Sunday, May 10, 2020

Orchard Oriole. Closing in on 100 Yard Birds.

  Despite a cool damp night, spring bird migration surged onward.  During yesterday's bird count I didn't see a single Baltimore Oriole but this morning when I got home from work I had 6 males and 3 females in and around my feeders. After a three hour nap I woke to see a Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the tree next to my house.  As I laid in bed admiring that bird an Orchard Oriole landed in the same tree just a few feet from my window. That got me out of bed and running for my camera.  Turns out I didn't need to hurry the bird is still here as I write this.
View from my room
   As the day progressed my total of Baltimore Orioles was over 20 as I saw 17 males at one time and 6 females.

Female Orchard and male Baltimore

The Orchard pair
      Tensions started running high as the number of birds kept climbing.
Dude that's no way to treat a potential mate


  The Orchard Oriole was new to the yard list #96, earlier in the morning a White-crowned Sparrow was #95.
   Lincoln's Sparrow became #97....
 ....and the four Ovenbirds that I saw brought the list to 98.  As I was editing the photos an Indigo Bunting stopped by for a couple of seconds and got the list to 99.
  Other birds of interest...
Palm Warbler

Brown Thrasher which is a fixture in the yard since they arrived in April.

2 comments:

  1. Nice yard bird-- For some reason the hooded orioles around here don't go for the oranges

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past couple of days they've been eating the oranges down to the rind plus emptying the hummingbird feeders

    ReplyDelete