Thursday, May 21, 2020

Got My Yard Pelican 5/21/2020

   Since I moved to the lakeshore I've suspected that one day I'd add an American White Pelican to my yard list.  I came close on Sunday when I was leaving my worksite a mile up the road and noticed a group of 6 Pelicans off shore from the plant.  I quickly drove home, grabbed the camera and raced back to work but the birds had left by the time I returned.  At the time I thought if I had headed to edge of my bluff I may have been able to get a flyby shot as the small flock moved on.
White speck to the left of center is an American White Pelican
   This morning I did some yard birding after work. From the edge of my bluff I noticed a large white bird off shore from my worksite.
Cropped version of previous photo
      After just a few moment the large bird took flight and fortuitously headed my direction.
Yardbird  #120
   Also this morning while birding the street-side of my property I noticed a motionless doe with a distressed look.  I initially thought she might be injured but a view through binoculars revealed the reason(s) for her anxiety. 
Doe with one of her two newborns.
   Red-headed Woodpeckers are being seen daily, usually flying over but this one stopped for a snack.
  A couple of other photogenic birds also posed for portraits.




No comments:

Post a Comment