Monday, May 6, 2019

Orchard Oriole and Red-throated Loon 5/6/2019

     Dave Dister alerted me to a pair of Orchard Orioles that showed up at a Hamlin Lake area residence.  I made a quick call to the homeowner and made arrangements to photograph the birds.  One of the birds was at the feeder as I arrived and posed for somewhat distant photos in a variety of settings.
  Shortly after I arrived home, Dave called again to tell me that a Red-throated Loon was making its way through Pere Marquette Lake to Ludington Harbor.  I arrived there within 10 minutes and got some close photos before boat traffic forced the loon to the far shore.



     Before the calls from Dave the photo sequence below was my bird story of the day. 
  That speck in the field of white in the photo below is a Sharp-shinned Hawk flying at a great height above my yard.  (A quick calculation indicates that the Sharpie's height was roughly 1000')
   Immediately after I took the photo the small accipiter went into a stoop.
   It headed seemingly directly toward me  but ended passing about 20 feet over my head as it attempted to take one of the birds that had been visiting my feeders.
  According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Sharp-shinneds do not stoop on prey from high overhead.  I think this guy didn't get that memo.

2 comments: