Monday, April 30, 2018

Leave It To This Guy

  Hang on tight, this post is going every, any, and no where all at once.

  Over a three day period starting last Wednesday, I spent almost three hours on a stake out of a Red-necked Grebe in the Big Sable River in Ludington State Park.  I'm not sure about the lung capacity of this bird but over that three hour period I saw it above the water for a total of about 5 minutes.
  While I waited for the Grebe to resurface, I saw a pair of large flat-tailed semi-aquatic rodents that were unwavering in their dedication to their task.

    Also seen on the river were paired-up ducks
Green-winged Teals
Buffleheads
   With the lingering cold weather, Common Loons have been lingering as well.  Sunday the morning low was 23 F.  By noon it was up to 37 F and at my work site I found over a dozen Loons..... 
 ....and a handful of Horned Grebes.

Hey,  I don't do that in your reservoir.
    Late this morning I found a Snowy Owl just one day before tying the late date for the county.
    Meanwhile back at home,  Chipping Sparrows finally arrived for the spring.  
    Also a Northern Harrier zipped by this morning.
    As I get older and my visual acuity weakens, identifying birds becomes more challenging.  Thankfully Turkey Vultures uncannily have been flying lower so that I can get a closer look.


No comments:

Post a Comment