Saturday, April 7, 2018

Harlequin Duck Ludington

  On Thursday Jim Dawe found a male Harlequin Duck in the tailrace (outflow) of the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant.  I checked unsuccessfully for the bird yesterday in an off and on blinding wind-driven snow.

  Late this morning I made another attempt for the rarity and luckily had the duck pop up right in front of me as I searched for it from a restricted access lakeside location.  I gave Dave Dister a call to report my sighting and fortunately he was at the public access viewing area that overlooks the plant.  I was able to meet up with him at his location and take him down inside the restricted access area where he was able to see the duck albeit at quite a distance.

      Several Long-tailed Ducks were also hanging out in the same area.                               
Long-tailed Duck
    As I downloaded and processed the duck photos I noticed a Sharp-shinned Hawk perched near the feeders on my deck.


2 comments:

  1. Great pics, Mark! Congrats on the find(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of embarrassing that other people are finding great birds at a place that I spend 40 hours/week.

    ReplyDelete