Saturday, October 3, 2015

This Week in Ludington Birds

  This morning after work I was able to photograph the Black-bellied Plover on the South Breakwater of Ludington Harbor, that had been found by Dave Dister on Friday.
Black-bellied Plover
    After a few hours of sleep I awoke to find a message on my phone from Dave, in which he reported that a White-rumped Sandpiper was in the company of the aforementioned Plover at the harbor.  I packed up the camera and headed back out there.  When I arrived I saw a distant flock of about a dozen birds flying by and snapped a couple of poorly lit, underexposed photos.  Upon review, once they were downloaded on the computer I could see that they were Lapland Longspurs.
Lapland Longspurs

Common Tern

   About halfway between the bend of the dogleg and the end of the pier I spied the White-rumped with a pair of Sanderlings.
White-rumped Sandpiper
  Earlier in the week I photographed a Semi-palmated Plover on the same pier.
Semi-palmated Plover
  Warblers are still feasting on the small caterpillars which in turn are feasting on the oak trees in my yard.  This Black-Throated Green was photographed on Tuesday.  Another was seen this afternoon and ties the late date for the county according to available records.
Black-throated Green Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Cape May Warbler

Magnolia Warbler
  I got some good looks but blurry photos of a Blue-headed Vireo.
Blue-headed Vireo
   Both varieties of Kinglets arrived en masse this week but I haven't been able to nail the exposure on a Golden-crowned yet.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

No comments:

Post a Comment