Sunday, November 18, 2012

Red Crossbills Woodlawn Cemetery 11/18/12

Red Crossbill

  Reports of both crossbill species drew me to Woodlawn Cemetery in Toledo after working a 13 hour shift this morning.  Through a thick morning fog that the National Weather Service promised would dissipate around 9am, I navigated my way in the light Sunday morning traffic.  Right on cue the fog started to burn off just as I pulled in the cemetery driveway.  Woodlawn has been the final resting place for many prominent Toledo residents since at least the 1870's.   The long history of this location results in many mature trees that attract a variety of birds. 


  Today the main attractions for the birds were the Sweet gum trees.  Here are some of the 600 photos I took today.
Red Crossbill





White-winged Crossbill

White-winged(left), Red Crossbill (right)

Dark-eyed Junco

Pine Siskin

Red-bellied Woodpecker

White-throated Sparrow
   While strolling around the grounds in search of the crossbills, I ran into two other birders Chris and Jackie.  While talking to Chris I mentioned that I had worked all night and I was on my way home in a roundabout way.  I told him the line of work that I am in and he said he met a birder at the White Wagtail (at Pt. Mouillee in April of last year) who shared my occupation.  Turns out it was me. It made me realize what a peculiar way it is that birders can use a bird to describe a time and place.  For example, besides Chris I also met a birder named Mary at the White Wagtail,  John  and Karl at the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Scott at the White Pelican, Jim and Dave  at the winter American Pipit.

  .

1 comment: