Friday, December 11, 2020

White-winged Crossbill Yardbird #150 12/11/2020

 


   Last month in a text conversation with Matt McConnell after I added my 148th species (Common Redpoll) to my yardlist, I mused about hitting 150 by the end of the year.  Matt suggested that a likely upcoming addition could be a White-winged Crossbill, which had been seen in our area. His prediction came true this morning when a female White-winged Crossbill visited my platform feeder and got me to the 150 milestone.


    Going back a couple of weeks...I was thankful for the Harlequin Duck that appeared offshore from my yard on Thanksgiving.

    I noticed the Harlequin from my dining room through my cheap vintage Celestron catadioptric telescope that I bought on ebay about 10 years ago. I have been trying to resell/unload/give the scope away almost since the moment that I unpacked it from the shipping box.  Today tragedy befell the scope after it was knocked off a dining room cabinet where I had securely placed it last night.  
  The shattered front correction plate is as serious as a broken leg to a race horse and means it has seen its last Harlequin Duck.  I took the Celestron out back and pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Swarovski 20-60x 80mm spotting scope that I've had my eye on since I moved to the lakefront last year.  The low end Celestron scope is to lemons as the Swarovski is to lemon merengue pie.



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 150!!! That is a tremendous accomplishment for such a short time on a piece of property. Natalie and I have stalled are yard list. We are still waiting for Evening Grosbeak, Redpoll, and either Cross-bill. Perhaps this winter...?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Evening Grosbeaks that I saw earlier in the fall moved on weeks ago, but I'm seeing the WW Crossbill and Common Redpolls every day. Still haven't been able to turn a Common Redpoll into a Hoary.

      Delete