Sunday, November 5, 2017

Cackling and Snow Geese at Work

3 White-morph Snow Geese and a Cackling Goose in flight
  After an unsuccessful chase of a late Blue-headed Vireo that Dave Dister found at the State Park this morning, my wife and I drove to the upper reservoir road at my worksite.  As we slowly drove the upper loop, I noticed flocks of Canada Geese coming to land on the pond.  Scanning the flocks I saw 3 White-morph Snow Geese following the Canadas in from the surrounding cornfields.  
Blue Morph Snow Goose
   When I examined the raft of geese that landed I found one Blue-morph Snow Goose.  It wasn't until I downloaded the photos onto my computer that I noticed that there were at least 7 Cackling Geese interspersed among their larger cousins.
Four Cackling Geese among Canada Geese
    Before we got to the upper road, a handsome Dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk flew by.  I was hoping to get eye-level shots of it with the 200+ feet of elevation gain that the upper road provides.  But the bird was nowhere in sight when we got up there.
Dark-morph Rough-legged  
   The only raptor viewed from the high road was this young Bald Eagle.
Immature Bald Eagle


No comments:

Post a Comment