Thursday, April 27, 2017

Piping Plovers and Early Oriole

  The pair of Piping Plovers that nested (verified by legbands) on Stearns Beach last year have returned.  I spotted them on Monday at the north pier of Ludington Harbor.


   Besides the Plovers, a couple of Ring-billed Gulls and a Caspian Tern the only other birds seen from the pier were Red-breasted Mergansers.

  This morning I drove around and found a small group of Blue-winged Teals in the pond at Freeman and US-31.

Peaceful courtship

Incoming.

And there she goes.

A confrontation ensues

Starts with a jab

then quickly escalates 

I lost track of who's who at this point

This guy concedes.
  My wife spotted a Baltimore Oriole sipping at the hummingbird feeder this morning. A few minutes later it returned and I fired off three shots before I had a chance to check camera settings.   This resulted in blurry overexposed images taken at 1/15 of a second.  I reset the camera to more acceptable settings but the Oriole did not return. 
  This was the first April Oriole that I've had at either my current home or my old house in the Wayne County.

No comments:

Post a Comment