Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Pier to Pier Review....Ludington Purple Sandpiper and Manistee Brant 11/22/2016



   Yesterday Van Burmiester found a Purple Sandpiper on the South Breakwater at Ludington Harbor.  I didn't get a chance to look for it then but I was out there soon after sunrise this morning.  Just past the bend of the pier I found the Dunlin that has been hanging out for a couple of weeks now.
Dunlin

  Just after I finished photographing the Dunlin, Dave Dister called and told me that a Brant had been found near the 1st Street Pier in Manistee.  Soon after the call from Dave I found the Purple Sandpiper and was able to get some close shots in good lighting.


Purple Sandpiper


   With the day still young I headed home and picked up my wife and we headed north to Manistee to look for the Brant. When we arrived at the Manistee pier there were a pair of birders, Carl and Judi Manning who had a spotting scope aimed at the wayward goose.  I was only able to obtain distant photos of the bird as it hunkered down near the end of the breakwater.
Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment