Saturday, September 26, 2015

Mostly Nashvilles (but not always)

  After last Saturday's wave that brought 14 warbler species to my yard, I've been keeping an eye out for a repeat performance.  Although most of the days earlier this week brought only a handful of individuals of just a couple of species, on Friday it looked like the floodgates were opening up again. 
   As soon as I got home from work, just after 10 AM, I could see lots of activity in the trees,  I grabbed my camera and binoculars and sorted through the 20 or so songbirds feasting mostly on small caterpillars that were in my oaks. This first wave was about 90% Nashville Warblers with a couple of Tennessees mixed in.
Nashville Warbler


Tennessee Warbler

  That group cleared out around 10:30 and a second influx ensued at the top of the hour,  This group had 4 or 5 each of Nashvilles, Magnolias and Black-throated Greens with again a couple of Tennessees and one Black and White Warbler. They stayed until 11:40 and were the last large group of the day.
Magnolia Warbler

Black-Throated Green Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment