Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Costa's Hummingbird Manistee County

  On Saturday after I arrived at my home in the metro Detroit area,  I saw a rare bird posting of an apparent  Costa's Hummingbird in Manistee County.  It's unfortunate that I didn't see the post before my 4 hour drive home because I had started the day about 50 miles from the Onekama residence that the bird is frequenting. The bird has since been confirmed as a Costa's and it is the first one ever recorded in Michigan.  
  
    My west Michigan luck has continued as the bird was still present this afternoon as I arrived back in the area.  I was able to get a few photos under heavy overcast.  The homeowners, Ronald and Janet,  said the bird has been hanging around for about 3 weeks and they notified  local birder Dr. Brian Allen, on Friday because they were concerned about it's welfare during that afternoon's blustery snow squalls.





                                      




Here is a link to a  News story about the bird

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I had hoped for better lighting but my camera did well under the circumstances,

    ReplyDelete