Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Ludington, 10/15/2014


    Exploring my new neighborhood, I headed to the south pier of Ludington Harbor after work.  Saw a few nice but non-blogworthy birds.    As I pulled out of the parking lot and headed south on S. Lakeshore Drive, a bird that flew up to the wires caught my eye.  I had one of those Jack-Buck-1988-World-Series-Game-One moments "I don't believe..... what I just saw".  It was a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.   




  In an email from Dave Dister, who's currently working on a book 'The Birds of Mason County, Michigan', this is the second Scissor-tailed Flycatcher ever in the county.  The first one was by Gary Worton, October 14, 1975, 39 years ago almost to the day. 

Here are the birds I saw out on the pier.
Green-winged Teal hen

American Pipit

Merlin

3 comments:

  1. Super nice find Mark. And seems like you have moved to Ludington? You will sure be missed around here.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete