Monday, April 28, 2014

Looner Mission

  Up until this morning my one day record for Common Loons flying over my yard was 11.  This morning I had that by 7:05 AM and proceeded to get 24 more before 10 o'clock.  The 35 loons were more than I had ever counted for an entire spring.  Previous record was 30 in 2011.  They flew over as singles, pairs and a group each of 4,5 and 6.


5 of the group of 6

Close-up of birds in the previous photo.




4 of the group of 5

Close-up of above birds









  If you read my previous post about the four flight paths that the Loons take over my yard,  32 of the 35 were on either path B or C.  Paths A and D had one each and the remaining bird was heading north to south in a reverse migration direction.


   I've had a few decent birds on the ground in my yard over the past few days

Brown  Thrasher
   I see Mallards fly over quite often but this is only the second time one has landed.

Common Loon on Saturday

 Either a Melanistic or filthy House Sparrow

Chipping Sparrow

Hermit Thrush

  Back on April 18, I saw the disk of the Sun veiled behind a thin spot in the heavy overcast.  I knew its surface was loaded with sunspots so I took a few photos to try to capture them.
   Here is an image that appeared on spaceweather.com's website that day.  It was taken from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory with the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager.  The Observatory is in orbit around the Earth.

Moonrise at dawn on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment