Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mostly words but not always



My finite vocabulary was on display for the general public as I was quoted in Monday's Detroit Free Press for an article about Red-bellied Woodpeckers and White-breasted Nuthatches feasting on the invasive Emerald Ash Borer beetle.  Here is the set-up and my quote as it appeared in the paper.


   Mark Wloch of Southgate, a bird-watcher, welcomes more woodpeckers, but not what’s bringing them.
“It’s always good to have more birds like that,” he said. “But it’s not good to have ash borers.” 

I think I heard the reporter, Keith Matheny,  sigh over the phone as I cast out that insightful observation . It was a sigh that seemed to say 'Is that all you got Captain Obvious'.  The reason I'm questioning the range of my vocabulary, is because in that 17-word answer I used 13 different words (4 are used twice) and in those 13 words I used 80% of the words that make up the name of my blog.  The only one missing is 'mostly'.  As in I mostly subliminally got the name of my blog into the article. 


  Incidentally, I can think of a hundred local  people more qualified than myself to be the spokesperson for the birds, just off the top of my head.....Allen , Julie , Jerry , Jerry , Paul , D. Boon,  Jeff , Tex, Walt, Will, Scott , Mary , Darren, Andy, Darlene, Karl, Ed, Janet,  Stan, Greg, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Sean, Lyle, Laurent, Richard, Alan, Paul, Bill,  Lathe, Daryl, Kevin, Adam, Orin, Jacco, Rick, Charlie, Jason, Todd, Tim, Jonathan, John, Jon, Ron, Don, Andrew, Cathy, Kathy, Gregg, Jerry, Rodney, Kim,  Tom, Bruce, Mary, Rob, Bob, Jim,  Jim, Jim,  Pat, Kevin, Phyllis, Nate, Dave, James, Joe, Cendra, Fred, Denise, Dr. Bob.......I could go on. 

   If you would like to read Mr. Matheny's fine article click on one of the following links below.  It seems the story was picked up on the Associated Press News wires and appeared in newspapers across the Eastern U.S., The Wall Street Journal and the San Francisco Chronicle.  For the younger folks who have never seen a newspaper, imagine an internet made out of processed wood, with a real slow DSL line, that could be rolled up and used to discipline your dog or kill flies. 

Here are the links to different papers that carried the article
Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Detroit Free Press

Observer and Eccentric Newspaper

Binghamton NY paper

Wall Street Journal

Lansing State Journal

Seymour, IN Tribune

Danbury, CT News-Times

New Jersey Herald

Elmira, NY Star-Gazette

San Francisco Chronicle

Owosso, MI Argus Press

Port Huron, MI Times-Herald

Franklin, IN Daily Journal







No comments:

Post a Comment