Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hosting the Oriole on Sunday

    After three sleep deprived days birding in Northern Ohio last Wednesday-Friday, I took a day off from birding on Saturday to work a sixteen hour shift.  Sunday I decided to rest and just watch birds from my yard.
   The highlight was this Baltimore Oriole.  I get them in my yard a few days per year but usually only calling from the top of my sycamore trees.  This one came down to eye level and feasted on the oranges that the Orioles and Red-bellied Woodpeckers have always shunned.




Secret to staying orange

American Goldfinch


Red-winged Blackbird

Another Yard Loon


I also get an Osprey (aka Fish Hawk) or two fly over the yard every year, but I've never seen one kiting in my neighborhood.  Kiting is the stationary hovering flight technique they use when they're fishing. 




I have no idea what this bird was doing because below are the two largest bodies of water in my neighborhood. 

  Monday I took another trip to Magee Marsh, where things have slowed down considerably, but saw the following birds


American Woodcock


baby woodcocks

Singing Chestnut-sided Warbler

Nashville Warbler


Had a trio of raptors fly over the yard the past two days.

Red-tailed Hawk


Cooper's Hawk

American Kestrel


No comments:

Post a Comment