Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Common Redpoll in the yard

New Year's Day Common Redpoll

  Back in January 2009, I added Common Redpolls to the yard list.  They arrived on the 13th and were seen 45 days straight through February 26.  After a one day absence on the 27th they were at the thistle seed feeders and on the Sycamore trees for 10 days in March before their last visit on the 17th. 
   Early this afternoon I had the bird in the above photo visit for a couple of minutes.  Hopefully it will stick around and bring some friends. 
   Other birds of interest seen from the yard this New Year's Day,  1 American Robin, 6 Mute Swans, 28 Canada Geese, and 1 American Kestrel.
  For my yardlist I count all birds that I can see from the yard.  This tree is actually about a block away. We used to live two streets over and I never saw a Kestrel from that yard.  Funny thing is that the tree the bird is in, is actually closer to my old house than to my current house.



No comments:

Post a Comment