Sunday, August 5, 2012

Catching Lightning

   Nothing quite gets your attention like a nighttime electrostatic discharge between the ground and sky.  Nature's 3 mile long camera flash illuminating the landscape that initially grabs your eyes, assaults your ears, rattles your bones and will take three double oxygen molecules and form two odoriferous triple oxygen molecules known as ozone that gives lightning its smell.  Last night I was able to capture some images of an approaching storm before the much needed rain arrived.







     As a kid after I had been startled by the instantaneous thunderclap of an extremely close lightning strike my Dad calmed me by saying " If you had time to be scared that means it didn't hit you".  Not the most important bit of wisdom he shared with me, but one I come back to when I hit the shutter release on a stormy nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment