Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 2 in SE Arizona


 With my body still being on Eastern Daylight time, it was easy to not oversleep. I woke at 3:30am, and went outside to see how dark the Arizona skies were. The center of our Milky Way galaxy was visible to south in the constellations Sagittarius and Scorpio.




  As the dawn progressed I took off for Madera Canyon for more birding.  The Acorn Woodpecker in the top photo was photographed there. Here are a few other birds I saw there.



I also heard an Elegant Trogon up the trail but never got close enough to see it.


The magnificent, black chinned and broad-billed hummingbirds were all at the feeders at the Santa Rita Lodge on Madera Canyon Rd.




  Back in Patagonia, this  Lark Sparrow and Violet-Crowned hummingbird were in the yard at the Paton House, a world famous birding spot, known for its variety and volume of hummingbirds.



  I arrived back at the rental house 6 hours and 40 degrees later as the temperature had risen from a morning low of 47 degrees to 87 by 11:30am.



    .

No comments:

Post a Comment