Thursday, April 29, 2021

Trumpeter Swans and Peregrine Falcon 4/29/2021



   The Migration Map wasn't very promising for new birds arriving in my area last night.  But 5 Trumpeter Swans and a Peregrine Falcon made for a worthwhile morning despite the unfavorable winds and dreary gray sky. 

   It was the second year in a row that I had an early morning Peregrine leisurely pass over my yard.


  I came real close to missing the swans, firstly because they passed by just after I stepped out of the house as I moved my observing session from the yard to the deck. Secondly my camera battery was just about dead when I took the photos of them. The battery, in fact, died as I was first reviewing the photos.  Why didn't I change the battery when I noticed that it was low, you ask?  Because since I dropped my camera on the kitchen floor last week my Canon camera doesn't recognize my Canon batteries and thinks that they are third party knock-offs.  Although the battery still powers everything it cannot communicate its level of charge to be displayed on the camera.  Trumpeters can be quite vociferous and can be heard bugling from quite a distance.  These birds, on the other hand, stood mute.  


  The Trumpeters are new to the yard list, species 159.  By the way my goal for the year was to get to 160 by the end of the 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment