Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Sparrowy with a Chance of Warblers 4/27/2021

 


   Last night the BirdCast migration map forecast that strong southwest winds would nudge up to 300 million birds along on their trek northward.  The live migration map showed that according to the Doppler Radar Network over 500 million birds were airborne just before 1:00 AM ET.  Exceeds expections, indeed.

   Like a kid in anticipation of Christmas, I went to bed a little early but had a hard time falling asleep and woke up well before sunrise.  When I went out after daybreak the first thing that I noticed were the dozens of Chipping Sparrows scattered all over my lawn.  My high count was 38.


  Next I added a couple of warblers to the year list.  Palm Warbler


...and Black Throated Green


Other 'first of the year' birds were  Red-headed Woodpecker...


...and Bank Swallow


Last but not least I added a Swamp Sparrow to the all-time yard list which is now at 158.



No comments:

Post a Comment