Friday, July 22, 2016

Ludington Avocets 7/22/16






     This morning Brian Allen relayed to MichListers a report from Linda Scribner of 19 American Avocets in Manistee.  Because I didn't get home from work last night until 11 AM this morning, I had no desire to ride up there to chase them.
    Luckily, shortly after I woke up this afternoon the Mostly Birds (but not Always) hotline lit up with a call from Dave Dister.  Dave was at Ludington Harbor where he was observing 16 Avocets. Despite the fact I was getting ready to start eating breakfast/lunch (dinner?) and got caught by an accident-induced road closure on the way, I made it to the south pier in about 20 minutes.  When I arrived I saw the flock fly out to the end of the pier before I reached the shoreline. They circled around and landed on the beach on the far side of the marsh area about 200' away.  

   As they were settling down a 30' cabin cruiser approached their patch of beach which sent the birds back to the air. They circled a couple of times then headed to points southward.

   Other birds of note at the harbor
Northern Pintail with two young Hooded Mergansers
Earlier in the week a few shorebirds were observed
Sanderling

Spotted Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper chick



No comments:

Post a Comment