Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Junco and the Merlin 4/8/2021

 

  This morning just before the rain sent me inside something caused the small birds at and under my feeders to scatter. As the other birds fled a single Dark-eyed Junco remained on the ground frozen in fear.  Luckily an alert Merlin swooped in like Superman and grabbed the Junco and carried it away to safety.  I never did see what startled the birds but I'd say that the Junco owes the heroic Merlin a meal.


   On Monday I saw this low Common Loon fly over my house.
  Northern Flickers are building in numbers as they migrate north along the lakeshore flyway. 

 I've been seeing Wood Ducks flying over the lake nearly every day so far this month.

Cooper's Hawk


2 comments:

  1. I don't think the intent was to take him to safety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not but he did get a meal out of it.

    ReplyDelete