Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Evening Grosbeaks 10/28/2020


       Through ebird alerts and Hawk Count site summaries, I learned over the weekend that an irruption of Evening Grosbeaks was beginning.  Most of the sightings that I had read about were either in Ontario or eastern Michigan but a couple of reports came from west Michigan.  With fingers crossed I filled the feeders and kept the camera ready.  

    Shortly after noon today the cool breezes off the lake made me give up my vigil over the backyard feeders, but instead of going inside to warm up I headed to the front yard to work up a sweat splitting up some logs that my neighbor had given me last week.  I wasn't out there two minutes when I noticed 6 Bald Eagles overhead soaring to the south. Luckily I had the camera nearby and took some photos of the eagles interactions.  No sooner did the eagles disappear beyond the tree-line, when I heard an unfamiliar chatter coming from overhead. I looked up and saw 10 robin-sized yellowish birds circling the immediate area before landing in a nearby tree.  It was the irrupting Grosbeaks that have now spread to several areas of the state.  They stuck around only long enough for me to get a few photos before lifting off and heading north.  At 2 pm a single male(below) returned for an equally brief visit.   

  The early reports of the Grosbeaks was reminiscent of the start of the last irruption in 2012.  During that event I photographed a single bird flying over my former yard in the Detroit area. The photos that I got then were so bad that it wasn't until the irruption became common knowledge that I suspected that the bird might be an Evening Grosbeak.  Here is a composite of the bad 2012 photos. You could say this is all just a little case of history repeating because the date of the 2012 observation was...….October 28.

    Before the Grosbeaks showed up today,  I already had enough material to do a blog post.  I had my first Rough-legged Hawk for my yard list on Saturday.  Yesterday I posted that three more passed by.  Today I saw eight more and had much better light to work with than yesterday's heavy overcast.




    Bald Eagles were also busy today. Twice I saw six eagles in the sky at once. 




   A Sharp-shinned Hawk made a low fly-by too.

  The Evening Grosbeaks are the 147th species on the yard list and the fourth that I've added since Saturday.  Beside the Rough-legs, Sunday's Hooded Merganser and yesterday's Snow Buntings also made their debut at my new house. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice shots of cool birds I haven't seen Evening Grosbeaks since they came to our feeder when we lived in those apts off Meridan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I was pretty lucky to see them this time since between the two visits they were only in the yard about 3 minutes. Hopefully they'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a very birdy Fall! Lots of great photos here. I especially love the Eagles and Evening Grosbeaks. Fall/Winter Bird activity is picking up here too. The Western and Clark's Grebes are starting to do their mating rituals, ducks are arriving, more than the usual Yellow Rumped Warblers, and the usual influx of White Crowned Sparrows. Also, our now resident Pin-tailed Whydah is displaying for the females.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, October was a real good month as I added 5 species to the yard list. September was kind of disappointing because of a lack of warblers. I see flocks of ducks everyday out on the lake but mostly they're too far out to ID.

    ReplyDelete