Sunday, February 23, 2020

Rough-legged Hawks 2/23/2020



    Early this afternoon I rode around the reservoir at work in the slim hope of finding a Snowy Owl.  In previous winters Snowies have been frequently seen at that location but this season I've only heard of one sighting and that was back in November.
  As expected no owls were seen but a pair of Rough-legged Hawks made the ride worthwhile.


   At the same location last weekend I saw the overwintering Harlequin Duck in the lake near the powerhouse.


  WARNING : If you are an astronomically and geometrically challenged flat-earther this next part may cause an adverse reaction.

  A neat thing about living on the lake shore is that you can observe the effects of the curvature of the Earth simply by walking upstairs from the basement.  On January 7 from my ground-level basement I spotted a distant freighter that was significantly obscured by the horizon.
View from the basement

 When I went upstairs to get the camera I saw that from a 10' higher elevation much more of the freighter was visible.

View from the living room
 
   Below is a side by side comparison of the photos from different vantage points
 
  From the Boat Nerd freighter tracking website I was able to determine the freighter's distance to be 17.1 Nautical Miles or 19.68 Statute Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment