Sunday, January 6, 2019

Snowy Owl Ludington Harbor 1/6/2019

  Late this morning Dave Dister relayed that Linda Scribner had found a Snowy Owl near the little pier at the Loomis Street Boat-launch of Ludington Harbor.  Since I had yet to see a Snowy this season I headed right out there.

   When I arrived the bird had moved from the location that Linda had seen it but a binocular scan of both piers revealed that the bird was perched near the top of the Ludington Lighthouse.


    The bird seemed unfazed and unnoticed by the few pedestrians who hiked to the end of the pier.  I would have attempted a closer approach but I had my dog with me whose presence I'm sure the owl would not have appreciated.  So I headed home dropped the dog off, picked my wife up and drove back to the lakeshore.  As luck would have it the bird had fled the lighthouse but we fortunately ran into Matt McConnell who saw it head toward the south pier.

    We were able to relocate the bird on the sand near the beginning of the pier.

  At one point as the owl scanned its surrounding it tilted its head up to check out a.... 
 ...piston-twin plane on final approach to the local airport.
   The plane flew straight overhead as the owl kept an eye on it.

    Back at home White-throated Sparrows are still making daily appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment