Saturday, December 15, 2018

2018 Ludington Christmas Bird Count (CBC) 12/15/2018


   Since November 26th a White-throated Sparrow (WTSP) has been seen almost daily feeding on the seeds that I put out at the base of the spruce at the end of my driveway.  I was hoping that it would stick around for the Christmas Bird Count but had some concerns when I didn't see on either Monday or Tuesday this week,  I was relieved when it returned on Wednesday just in time to be included for the count week.  On Thursday the odds of a Count Day (12/15/2018) WTSP increased when a second bird showed up and hung out by the same tree.
   Of the previous 47 Ludington CBCs  WTSPs were only recorded on 6 counts but 3 of those have occurred in the last 3 years.
   I wasn't able to check for the sparrow this morning because I left before sunrise to look for a Snowy Owl that a coworker had spotted at my work site earlier this week.  From there I had to head back to town and meet up with Van Burmeister and assist him with his assigned count area.  Luckily the White-throated Sparrows were both present when I returned home in the early afternoon.

  I only took a few photos as I traveled with Van in and around Summit Twp.

House Finch

Eastern Bluebirds
   After Van and I parted ways I went back up to the reservoir at work and found a single Snow Goose hanging around with a flock of over 800 Canada Geese.

Snow Goose and Canada Goose
 
Red-breasted Merganser
   Down by the powerhouse a pair of Long-tailed Ducks were seen.
   As well as 3 American Tree Sparrows

Goldfinch and Tree Sparrow
      Other birds at my feeders that posed for photos were....
White-breasted Nuthatch

Sharp-shinned Hawk
  Moments after I photographed the hawk it dropped down, grabbed a Goldfinch and flew off with the tasty morsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment