Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Olive-sided Flycatcher - A Proper Welcome Home


    My Wednesday began at 1:30 AM PDT  on Tuesday or did my Tuesday end at 1200 Noon on Wednesday. Anyway,  my daughter Dana and I drove straight through from La Grande, Oregon to my home in west Michigan in 28 hours 35 minutes.  It worked out pretty good as we switched driving duties with each tankful of gas, which turned into a 5 hours-on, 5 hours-off schedule for both of us.  Arriving home I was finally able to relax and caught a lengthy nap from noon til 4:00 pm this afternoon.
   Around 5 pm I grabbed a beer and a sandwich and headed out to the back deck to relax and watch for the beginning of fall bird migration.
22 oz x 11% = 4 beers in one

  No sooner did I set down my food and drink when I spotted a young Olive-sided Flycatcher engaged in an questionable campaign to eradicate my neighborhood of bees.  It probably caught a half-dozen bees in the hour I observed it, each time returning to the same perch on an oak snag in my front yard.

  I've found 3 Olive-sided Flycatchers in my life. Each sighting occurred within 10 feet of my refrigerator as I was preparing or sitting down to eat lunch/dinner. The first at my old house in metro Detroit  back almost 4 years to the day ...... http://mostlybirdsbutnotalways.blogspot.com/2013/08/new-yard-bird-without-even-trying.html   Then last September I found one in the exact same tree as today's bird, while I was standing in the exact same spot . http://mostlybirdsbutnotalways.blogspot.com/2016/09/olive-sided-flycatcher-982016.html

    Monday's Solar Eclipse post will be expounded upon at my astronomy blog here....http://mostlynerdbutnotalways.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment