Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ludington Merlin and Bonaparte's Gulls


 
Merlin on State Route 116 leading to Ludington State Park
  Following up on a 3-day-old report of a possible Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on South Lakeshore Drive (near where the one was last October), I headed into the dreary misty morning with binoculars and camera in tow.  No flycatcher was seen but a remarkable flight of Bonaparte's Gulls blew in off Lake Michigan riding a 30 mph tail wind.
   In less than two minutes I conservatively estimate that 500 of the gulls zipped overhead in groups of 50 to 100.  By the time I turned my car around the larger groups were well inland and out of camera range.  A few minutes later I got some shots of  couple of smaller groups.



    
Pair of Red-breasted Mergansers on Pere Marquette Lake
   Saw one Common Loon out over Lake Michigan,

No comments:

Post a Comment