Monday, February 1, 2021

Merlin 1/31/2021

 


    Yesterday morning a commotion occurred at my back window as a Mourning Dove franticly sought shelter under my second story deck.  When it found a secure hiding spot, the Merlin that tormented it chose to keep a watchful eye on it from a shepherd's hook at my bird feeding station. Ultimately patience paid off for the dove as the Merlin flew off seeking easier prey elsewhere.

  Only other birds of interest that I've been able to photograph since my last post were a flock of Redheads offshore at the end of December.


   Back on December 22 a freighter passing by at night caught my attention.  A quick check on Boatnerd.com ID'd it as the Arthur M Anderson.  The Anderson's historical significance is that it was the last freighter to have contact with the Edmund Fitzgerald on its ill-fated journey in November 1975.



2 comments:

  1. We have the same problem at our house except with Cooper's hawks. They do a fly by at least once a day just to keep everybody on their toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Goldfinch or Mourning Dove here or there is a small price for close-up look at raptors.

    ReplyDelete