Friday, April 19, 2019

Van's the Man (who found the Harris's Sparrow) 4/19/2019


   Well, my Christmas Bird Count partner Van Burmeister did it again.  He found another great bird in Mason County.  This time on a morning visit to Ludington State Park he found a Harris' Sparrow at the feeders that Dave Dister installed and maintains at the warming shed near the park entrance.
   To recap in the past 3 years Van had two county firsts in his yard.
 In September 2016 a White-winged Dove.
   Then in December 2018 he reported a Black-Headed Grosbeak that drew birders from across the state to his neighborhood.

  Also in July 2016 he beat me by an hour on discovering a Common Eider in Ludington Harbor.  He actually called me when he saw it but he had a bad signal and he couldn't get his message to me.  He was using a borrowed phone with a Maine area code so I kept hanging up on his subsequent calls that I thought were from a persistent telemarketer. 


   I guess I can consider myself fortunate that he didn't scoop me on the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher that I found on the day that I met him in October 2014, when Van was a strapping young lad in his early 80's.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment