Friday, September 9, 2016

Olive-sided Flycatcher 9/8/2016



   Another yard another Olive-sided Flycatcher.  As I stepped out on to the back deck to grill up some lunch, I looked over the house and noticed a flycatcher at the top of an oak in the front yard.  Initially I suspected a Kingbird as it chased insects then returned to the same perch.  I reached back into the house and grabbed a pair of binoculars and realized I had myself a new bird (#105) for the yardlist.  It is only the second Olive-sided Flycatcher that I've ever found (or did it find me).  The first was at my old house when I noticed one on the back wire as I walked through the dining room.  http://mostlybirdsbutnotalways.blogspot.com/2013/08/new-yard-bird-without-even-trying.html

  The one at the old house only stayed a few minutes but yesterday's bird was much more cooperative. It actively hunted down bees (or wasps) and other bugs for about an hour.   



   Its habit of returning to a preferred vantage point made it possible to get some flight shots as I kept the camera trained at an anticipated landed spot.


   A couple of days ago a pair of Red-tailed Hawks sparred over my house.

The dropping of the gloves.

Looks like this just went from a hockey fight to a baseball fight, with no blows landed.

Back to their respective benches.

No comments:

Post a Comment